Monday, December 8, 2014

8 Reasons I Love ABC's Black-ish



I'll admit it: I was underwhelmed with the trailer for ABC's Black-ish.  However, I caught the premiere, and I've been hooked ever since.

Here are 8 Reasons Why I Love ABC's Black-ish

1.  It makes us look at race and culture.  In a country that asks us to be color blind, as its problems with race simultaneously corrode her, we need shows that make us look at ourselves.  We need mediums that explore relevant topics, loosen us up, and cause of to laugh,  even if it's at our own expense. Comedy was and will always continue to be one of the easiest ways to access people's hearts.

2.  Anthony Anderson.  He made his splash on the national stage in "Law & Order," but his comedic talent is his greatest strength.  He shines as "Andre 'Dre' Johnson," an upwardly mobile young husband and father who works hard to navigate his identity as a black man plus the cultural identities of his wife and kids.  He's got the "what I say goes" vibe of Dr. Cliff Huxtable (is it okay to say that these days??), mixed with the comedic brashness of Damon Wayans in "My Wife and Kids." Every week, we get to see the big-hearted Dre push his family into some new idea, watch the havoc that ensues, and then see him learn from his mistakes.

3.  It's always good to see black people on TV.  Especially when they aren't robbing anyone.  Or doing drugs.  Or getting killed.  (I could go on, but you get the point.)

4.  Miles Brown.  This kid's acting is just as adorable as his pretty little face.  

5.  Marsai Martin.  Her comedic talents are superb.  She plays the feisty, intellectual twin, and her glasses remind me of me when I was a kid, only I wasn't nearly as cute.

6.  The writing.  Creator Kenya Barris hits the nail on the head each week as he explores some of the situations African Americans experience and struggle with on a daily basis.  No, it's not exhaustive, and no, it's not representative of everyone's individual experiences, but what piece of art is?  The show explores what it can in its allotted time (30 minutes), within its chosen format (comedy).  

7.  Amidst the grand jury verdicts, protests, and feelings of despair and hopelessness, it's good to be able to have a good laugh and feel like I'm still engaged with what's happening around me.

8.  It's funny.  Really funny.  Not funny-ish.

No comments: